Optics and Accusto-Optics
The scientific team of BBT – Materials Processing, Ltd. participated as a prime- or subcontractor in a series of technological contracts focused on the development of new optical and acousto-optical components for terrestrial and space use. These projects, often with international participants, have been supported by various governement or non-government institutions and support programs.
THETIS – phase 1
Thermal hyperspectral imaging system breadboard requirement definition and design
- Application study of hyperspectral imager for ground and space monitoring.
- Core system based on Calomel AOTF for ultrafast spectral modulation.
- Spectral range: 8-10 µm, Swath: 50 km @950 km GSD, spatial res. 0.15 km.
Infrared Advanced Polarizer for Space and Other Applications
- Development and testing of Calomel-based polarizers for MIR region applications.
- Unique monocrystal system with a very high degree of polarization (ER > 1:30 000).
- Study of new lossless and depolarization systems (scramblers).
Mid to near infrared infrared spectroscopy for improved medical diagnostics
- Mid IR system for early cancer diagnosis and improved survival rates.
- Bio-molecule fingerprint region study for „cancer marker“ absorption peaks.
- Calomel AOTF system tested for >5 µm spectral range.
Mid Infrared Spectrometer by an Innovative Optical interferometer
- Birefringent interferometer for Fourier transform (FT) spectroscopy in the mid-infrared region.
- Based on the Calomel crystal combining high birefringence (ne-no≈0.55) with broad transparency range (0-17 µm).
- Demonstration of FTIR spectroscopy, with a frequency resolution of 3 cm-1, as well as 2DIR spectroscopy.
Development of quality Evaluation Methods for Calomel Optical Elements
- Development of optical evaluation setup for Calomel optics – material quality validation.
- Full test campaign of Calomel material for use in space environment (Gamma, Shock, TV, vibrations, etc.).
- Development and testing of space protective housing for Calomel optical elements.
New acousto-optical device based on Calomel for hyperspectral imaging in space applications
- Calomel tested as a substrate for acousto-optical tunable filter for the first time.
- Feasibility demonstration at 5 micrometer wavelength with spectral resolution of 2 cm-1.
- Development of an innovative transducer and substrate design for effective AO matching.
Innovative acousto-optical systems in the Mid-infrared region
- Testing and procurement of new polishing and lapping systems for material processing.
- Development of new processing techniques for Calomel optical elements.
- Design and manufacturing of new crystal grow units for mercurous chloride monocrystal cultivation.